Thursday, January 29, 2009

Really?


I can't believe I did it, but I slept until 9 o'clock this morning. How did I manage that, for goodness sake? Regardless, it was wonderful. I hope to do that many more times when I don't have anywhere to go in the morning. I was up during the night to go to the toilet, but I had enough sense to withstand the urge to stay up and start blogging, which would have been a very insensible thing to do and I guard myself from them. I have to be my own adult and make the right choices. I don't even remember falling asleep again, so I was not really quite awake when I had the thought to stay up.

Now I am sitting here quite contend in my pajamas with my mug of coffee. The Überhund has had his breakfast and his piddle out back and is laying by my side. Pretty soon I'll really have to take him out, but for right now he is asleep. If I move gently, I won't disturb him and he'll let me sit here for a while longer. Oh no, I spoke too soon, now he is looking at me with begging eyes. There, I've let him out back again. I am not quite ready yet to get dressed.

There are moments that I want to savor and draw out as long as possible and this is one of them. It is nice and warm inside and the sun is shining outside and everything feels just right. I don't want it to end.

The new TV Guide came in the mail, but it is the one for next week. Still, I could look in it last night and get some idea of the programming for that night and I watched a bit of television, but I fell asleep sitting straight up on the sofa and missed the most important programs. That's not very helpful, is it? Doubtlessly that was due to my short night the night before. I should be all caught up now and hopefully stay awake all day long and the evening too.

I have been refusing to go on my bathroom scales. I am afraid of what I'll see there and rely on how well my clothes fit me instead. They fit me fine, but I do know that I've gained some weight and that I need to watch it or I'll turn into a porker. I'm not completely in denial, but I think I was in the month of December and that it was not a very good month for me eating wise. I mean, I did too much of it. I think everybody does in December, don't they? It's the stress that makes you eat. January is a perfect month to get over that. There's no excuse to have all sorts of devilish food in the house. Speaking of devilish food, I haven't had a deviled egg in more than 15 years and I used to like them so much.

It's been almost 15 years since I drove a car. That's quite some time for someone who used to drive one daily. I had a car when I first came to the Netherlands, but I never did get my Dutch driver's license and now it is too late, because I can't afford a car and besides, I would have to have a real good argument to justify owning one, considering I travel by bike or by public transportation and I would have to take costly driver's lessons and take the exam, which is difficult here to pass. I would have to get dispensation too, because of all the medication I take. So, for now and the near future, I will be without a car, unless I win the lottery and I would have to play in it in order to win anything, although the Exfactor said he would share some of his if he won anything. Do you think I can keep him to that promise?

It's only Thursday and to me it already feels like it is the weekend. That's because I have no engagements and no classes. The only things I have to do is clean the apartment and do some shopping and I have my new schedule to stick to and help me through the day, making it much more manageable. As it is now, I am already behind schedule, but I don't really care, because I feel that I have to seize the moment and reorganize the schedule on a daily basis.

I do see that I have to clean my desk, because it is very dusty and I could write my name in it. It means moving all sorts of odds and ends off the desk and wiping it clean and replacing everything, which seems like too much work, when in reality it isn't. It just appears that way. I am too easily intimidated by things that look complicated. I call them frustration moments.

Well, I'll finally go and get dressed then and start the day. I can't postpone it forever. It's still freezing outside in spite of the sunshine.

Have a wonderful day.

Ciao...

8 comments:

Babaloo said...

Well, good morning, I can't believe I'm the first one to comment, for a change!

I also have to lose quite a bit of weight, and I'm finally getting around to tackle that issue. Don't beat yourself up about gaining a few kilos in December, we all do.

Oh, and devilled eggs? Yummy!!! And I haven't had any in about 10 years. My Mom used to make them for New Year's Eve. I think I have made them myself, once. They didn't taste the same. But I might just try again.

Enjoy your Thursday, it nearly IS the weekend indeed!

Stinking Billy said...

irene, you wrote "When I came to the Netherlands" and not when you had come 'back' to the Netherlands? So are you of Dutch parentage and USA born, or what? x

lebanesa said...

I have never had deviled eggs. What are they?
Good for you getting a lie-in. There is nothing better than waking up a bit later than usual and feeling you've had a good sleep.
Tee hee. I'd like to see what happened if the Exfactor did win the lottery... I'm sure he would give you some of it, but how much? LOL like teenage dreams, isn't it, realms of fantasy -
I like the Spanish lottery where lots of people win and share the money. That is so nice, lots of people having the chance at the same time.

Irene said...

No Billy, I lived in the States from my 17th until my 39th year. I should have said, when I came back, but it didn't seem that way.

Frances, deviled eggs are eggs cut in half and the yolks mixed with a bit of mayonnaise and Dijon mustard and paprika powder and salt and pepper, to then be put back in the halved eggs. Mmm, mmm, good.

Babaloo, I picture you as a slender person always. Don't burst my bubble.

Babaloo said...

Irene, I used to be anyway but the kilos have been silently creeping up over the years.
My Mom used to put chopped smoked ham into the devilled eggs, too. And I've seen recipes including capers somewhere. Worth a try, eh?

Wisewebwoman said...

A little bit of finely chopped chives never hurt in the devilled eggs, either, Irene!!
XO
WWW

aims said...

You sound so content my friend. How lovely!

Irene said...

WWW, so you see, everybody has their own additions to the yolks of deviled eggs. I'd also heard of some very finely chopped black olives and even very finely minced onion.

Aims, you're right, I am a much contended woman lately.