Monday, May 24, 2010

The closet!

I got up early this morning and was full of excitement, because I had promised myself that I would clean out my closet and because I had worked out the method I was going to use, I was looking forward to it. I didn't want to rush into it and had a cup of coffee first and answered my emails. It was still early and there was no need to act as if I was short of time. I had lots of time.

So when Tyke started to get impatient with me and let me know it was time to go out, I got dressed and took him for a 20 minute walk. Not too long, but long enough for him to do his business and sniff at all the blades of grass and the other various bits of vegetation. Once I got that out of the way, I took a break on the sofa with a glass of milk and a cigarette and mulled over my strategy. I was going to move some of my clothes to the shelves in my bedroom and needed to reorganize some things there first. I wanted to put some clothes there that I didn't wear very often and would easily fit on the deep shelves of the tall bookcase. So, I had to move some books first.

Luckily, my bedroom is organized and I could move things around pretty easily and I had room. That part of the job was done in no time and I had two empty shelves to put clothes on. Then I got all the mixed up stacks of clothes out of my closet and sorted them out and found four long sleeved stretch T-shirts that I had quite forgotten about. I also found some cute tank tops that I didn't realize I owned and a skirt and a pair of jeans that I didn't know about. They're all in the right size too.

I refolded everything and made new stacks. Then I went to the clothes that were on hangers. It was a chore to get the first item out. Things were jam packed, but the first dress I pulled out could go into the trash bag and the hanger could go into what would become a pile of hangers. I was ruthless. If I hadn't worn it in a year, it went into the trash nag. If it didn't fit, I wasn't going to fool myself and think it would fit me next year. It went into the trash bag.

Some things I had quite forgotten about and it was like I was shopping and discovering new clothes. A cute, colorful dress. A nice yellow long sleeved top. A green cardigan. A black top, printed with gold leaves and tied with ribbons. A light weight Hawaiian blouse.

When it comes down to it, I think I removed almost half of the clothes that were hanging there and put them in the trash bag. Some of them I had forgotten about too, but I'm not going to wear them anymore. Now I can easily move around the clothes that are left on the rod and all the extra hangers are gone too. I carefully stacked them in the bottom of my closet. There must have been thirty of them. The stacks of clothes are neatly divided over all the shelves and I know what I have now, so getting dressed is going to be a lot simpler. All I have left to do is look inside a large shopping bag in which I put some clothes a long time ago, because they didn't fit, and see if there's anything in there that might be of interest to me now.

So, wasn't that a fun job? All you need is a plan and to discuss it on your blog and then you will do it. You will be committed.

I've got to go look at that shopping bag now. My curiosity knows no bounds.

Ciao,
Nora

7 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Brilliant! Well done.

A job like that is so satisfying once completed. I had a wardrobe clearout recently and love now being able to actually slide the hangers along with ease. The trick as you say, is to be ruthless!

CorvusCorax12 said...

wonderful...ruthlessness is the only way to go about it and i have the one year rule too. Well done :)

laurie said...

VERY well done. i filled three grocery sacks with clothes to give the epilepsy foundation (they re-sell them) and still have no room in my closet. but it is a very tiny closet.

Babaloo said...

I'm full of admiration. It's a job I've been meaning to do for too long.

Maggie May said...

You are very good doing all that so methodically.
I feel sickened at the thought of doing mine ...... it is screaming out to be done though.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Gail said...

Wonderful

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. Wow! You've done plenty of cleaning and sorting the last couple of days. And you sound in a really good place mentally too.

I know I always feel better when I've straightened the place out a bit. At the moment I'm just about keeping up with the chores.

Hope your week continues as good.

Bearfriend xx