Saturday, May 22, 2010

The good life...

I hardly get around to the blogging business anymore since I seem to have decided now to sleep during the bight as well when I normally sit behind the computer. Not only that, I get up for a little while in the morning and then go back to bed anyway, if I don't have an appointment and it is a free day like today was. That is after I walk Tyke and I've taken my medicines and had my coffee. I really sleep well in the morning and have the most interesting dreams. I'm done sleeping when I crave a cup of coffee and a cigarette and I want to sit on the sofa with the blinds open and watch the world go by.

I've had an incredibly uninteresting day and I hope I have a few more like it. Not that I want to dwell in boredom, but I like to be lazy sometimes and it has finally given me a chance to catch up with my blog reading in which I was very much behind. It's also given me a chance to spend some time with Tyke and to try and teach him to shake paws. He does it spontaneously, but now I want him to do it on command. It needs a little bit of work.

He's going to be operated on his eye on Wednesday. He has another swollen tear gland, this time in his left eye, and it has not responded to the antibiotic ointment, as I doubted it would. It doesn't look good and we saw the vet last night. Tyke still likes the vet despite his first operation. He doesn't carry a grudge at all, but was happy to see him.

I'm now getting the same domestic help on Fridays instead of a different one all the time, who doesn't know what to do and needs half arsed instructions from me, who doesn't know what to tell them either. The woman who came here yesterday, made an assessment of the situation and went to work and will be back all the time picking up where she left off. She thoroughly cleaned what I thought was a clean kitchen and some doors in the apartment. She's a real go-getter. I used to get part timers who in real life were students working for the extra money and who didn't really have an eye for cleanliness and had to be told what to do, which was hard for me, because I didn't know.

I have an appointment to get my hair cut on Wednesday. I was messing around with my hair and some hairspray, trying to get it to stay in place, and realized it should be a little shorter to be more manageable. This longer hair is okay if I just want it to hang straight down, but if I want any kind of shape into it, it has to be cut a bit shorter than it is now and it does make me look more cheerful if it's done up a bit. I actually look very boring and old with my hair any other way.

I've been going to bed shamefully early and then lie awake for a few hours reading my book very cozily under the duvet with a glass of milk and something to eat. I'm still reading the Provence book, but somebody recommended two books by Frances Mayes. "Under The Tuscan Sun"and the sequel "Bella Tuscany." I ordered them both and the first book arrived in the mail today. I can't wait to get started on it, because I read it a long time ago and enjoyed it very much then. I haven't read the sequel, so I'm looking forward to that. I've put some other books by her on my wish list and will hopefully be able to get those soon.

I haven't got any new reading glasses yet and am having a bit of a problem reading without them and sometimes have to guess at a word or look for a long time before I can decipher it. I can only read books in large enough print, so I really need to get those glasses. My regular glasses don't help, because those are for distance.

I'm going to get my pajamas on and sit and vegetate for a while in front of the TV and then go to bed. I'm all excited about that. I can't wait to fall asleep after I've read awhile.

Ciao,
Nora

9 comments:

Gail said...

What a delightful report. Your plan seems to be working well.

Enjoy your evening.

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Nora. I have my most interesting dreams in the morning too.

So cute you teaching Tyke to shake paws! I taught the Bear to do that too! When he used to kneel at my feet I'd tell me to give me a paw, and he did too. He can be an obedient Teddy Bear and responds to simple instructions.

Hope you have as much success with Tyke.

Glad you're *chillin*.

Love
Bearfriend xx

Anonymous said...

Mmm - reading in bed before turning out the light and falling asleep! Love it! I know the experts say that your bed should be just for sleeping, not for reading, but that's my little nightly ritual too. I think it helps me drift off to sleep easier, because I've noticed that if I don't read for even fifteen minutes, I lay awake a lot longer - or at least it FEELS like it.

CorvusCorax12 said...

poor Tyke, good luck with the operation and boring is good in my book. I find the best time to read is in bed.
have a good weekend

Boomer Pie. said...

Nothing like reading a good book in bed with your faithful dog by your side...and a cleaning lady to tidy up. You've got a new follower...me!
Stop by my place and I promise I won't make you wash windows. http://www.boomerpie.com/

Wisewebwoman said...

Goodonya,TCS, nothing like books, bed and bliss.
XO
WWW

Bernie said...

Nora your day sounds like bliss, I am happy everything is going so well for you. Sleep well.....:-) Hugs

Maggie May said...

Sorry to hear about Tyke's eye operations. Hope he is OK.
I am going to vegetate all day as I am still not well.
Hope you enjoy the better weather and your books today.Iw will find a shady place in the garden & start a new book!
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Babaloo said...

Glad to hear you're doing so well. On the other hand, sorry to hear about poor little Tyke needing an operation. Hope that goes well on Wednesday.

Talking about books, I'm currently reading 'The Various Flavours of Coffee' by Anthony Capella, it came recommended by a friend. I think you might like it, you being a coffee lover yourself. :)

Have a lovely Sunday, here the sun is shining already and it's promising to be another sunny day.

XXX