Sunday, February 06, 2011

Sleeping must be very overrated...


Yesterday I did the chores that I had not been looking forward to and some of which I had been putting off for a while. By putting them off, I had made them much bigger in my head than they actually were, so when I finally got around to doing them, I was finished with them much quicker than I had anticipated. They turned out to be relatively simple and I was well prepared and organized, because I had been agonizing over them long enough.

I must let this be a lesson to me, because it always turns out to be the case that nothing is as bad as it seems and I am always quite capable and in charge. I don't know where I get the idea that I won't be able to deal with something. That whatever needs to get done will be too difficult. By pushing it ahead of me, I only make it worse until I give myself a good kick in the pants and get it done. 

I have two chores to do today and I know I will get them done, because they are very simple and straight forward and I can envision myself doing them. I can see the beginning and the end of them. They are manageable. They don't resemble anything remotely chaotic, which I would dislike very much. My home life is actually very orderly and one in which I can function very well. 

It is due to the good care of the domestic helps that the apartment is always in such good order. I'm able to keep it that way myself by being very clean and organized. I don't like it when things get beyond my control as the odd thing sometimes does. I'm not a typical Dutch housewife, though, and if it weren't for the domestic helps, things would get out of order quickly and I would not be able to set them to rights by myself. 

Because I finished the book in my sidebar, I chose a new book to read from my many unread books on the bookcase. It is Melissa Bank's The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing. I don't actually know if I'm at the appropriate age to be reading a book like this, because it seems to be more about the struggles of younger women, but it sounds very interesting and it got good reviews. I'm ready for something completely different and anything that has some psychological depth is welcome. The novel I read before Laurie's book was completely lacking in it. I think that was Where the Heart Is by Billy Letts.

I put the new book down on the table beside my armchair along with my reading glasses, but then never got around to reading it, because I got distracted by other things and the day went by quickly. I hope to start reading it today and, as a matter of fact, am going to make a point of it. I will set apart some time to, because my mind wants some other stimulation besides watching television. It's been engrossed in watching the developing revolution in Egypt and the international politics of my own government and that of the European Community. 

Tyke seems to know when it is weekend and I have time to spare and he demands his share of it. That means he wants to play with me and have extra cuddles. He finds all sorts of ways to get my attention and I have to give him points for innovation. You can see him sitting there thinking about it. We play ball a lot and if I ignore him long enough, he does drop it by my feet so I can pick it up and throw it again. We also wrestle over rawhide bones, but I always let him win. He's a little dog and I'm a big person. I can stand to lose over a rawhide bone. 

I think I will go back to bed now and sleep a few more hours. It's not nearly time to start the day. Besides, it's Sunday and there's no rush. The neighborhood will stay quiet for a long time. 

Have a nice day today.

Ciao,
Nora

2 comments:

Gail said...

The picture at the top looked like our road this morning.

Sleep wonderfully. I, who mistakenly took a nap, am awake beyond my normal bedtime.

Anonymous said...

I keep putting chores off. I could do with cleaning this house top to bottom and still have more to do!

CJ xx