Saturday, October 08, 2011

Tricky ways...


The dog has tricky ways to wake me up. First he licks my face and neck and if that doesn't work (because I fake sleep), he gently starts to bark at me. He knows I can't ignore him then. He's very satisfied with himself when I get up. As if he is congratulating himself on a job well done. He goes straight to sleep on the sofa when he knows I'm sufficiently awake and there's not another peep out of him. 

Isn't he a smart dog? And he does all of that for a bit of watchful company. I think he's got my number and he's speed dialing me in the middle of the night. I'll have to cut down on some of his privileges or I'll have to change my number. 

It's damp and cold and rainy outside. I finally had to close the windows and even turn on the heater. That's how uncomfortable I got. I hated to give in to this urge, but there was no other choice. I was just plain old cold. I think it's the dampness that really got to me. It chilled me to the bone and I couldn't get warm enough.  Now I'm luxuriating in the warmth of the apartment. It is very pleasant after having been so uncomfortable. 

It's been raining off and on since early yesterday morning. Sometimes it came down in buckets and it was impossible to go walk the dog. He sat in front of the window along with the cat and together they watched the rain come down. They were united in their fascination with it. They do have to have some distraction from bothering each other. 

I'm going to be reading 'The Joy Luck Club' by Amy Tan. I've read it before, but have fond memories of it and that's the kind of book I need. I have some other books by her and hopefully this one will get me in the mood to read those. I'm looking forward to it anyway. It's been a long enough time since I read 'The Joy Luck Club' that I've forgotten a lot about it and it should capture my imagination all over again. I'm going to sit in my armchair in a little while and start on it. 

Since today is Saturday, I can do with the day as I please. I can sleep when I want and read when I want and watch TV when I want. As long as I walk the dog regularly there's no problem. I'm allowing myself that kind of a day off. Doubtlessly, I'll do a chore or two. I never fail to. But it won't be anything big. It doesn't have to be anyway because the domestic help was here yesterday and she took care of most things.

Right, I'm off to start my book. It will be nice to sit in my armchair and read with a cup of tea. It will warm my insides. I'll go back to bed later.

Have a nice day.

Ciao,
Nora





4 comments:

Cate Rose said...

Hope you enjoy that book. I haven't read it, but I loved the movie. Have a delightful weekend! xox

VioletSky said...

Enjoy your book. I think I might still have a copy of it somewhere - I too have fond memories of it.

If there is one thing I hate, it's being licked by dogs. People think I am afraid of being bitten when I back away from a dog, but really, it's their tongue that I fear, not their teeth.

Maggie May said...

I have read books by Amy Tan but not that one. I enjoy her style.
That naughty Tyke getting you up & then going back to sleep himself! He just wants you to be alert & look after him.

I've read that we are in for -20C type of weather this next month or so. Lets hope they are wrong. That freaks me out dicing with death on the slippery pavements.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Wisewebwoman said...

Amy Tan. Good writer.
Enjoy her again. I met an author today and bought his book. It was so good to have a personal interchange.
XO
WWW